Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembering a Veteran

On this cold and freezing rainy, school delayed day, I pay homage to the veteran I lost one year ago today. In a strange way, it makes this day more of an honor to remember him than sad. To lose him on the day we also celebrate him.


6 years, 5 weeks and 4 days after my mother lost her battle with Cancer, my step father Bruce left us, and returned to her.



One year ago today after a week of waiting for him to wake, his slumber ended, and he hit the road in moms 56 Thunderbird with her at his side once again and they rode off into the sunset in their eternal Route 66.





Last year I posted this message from my aunt Mitz. I think it is a perfect homage to them:

“I believe in a lot of things. When I headed east to Mom's this morning at 7:00 a.m., I noticed how beautiful the sky was - I believe it was because of the reuniting of Bruce and Elaine and they wanted to share their happiness with us.

I also believe that when we go to Heaven, we leave all of our infirmities here. I hope there are backroads, rock & roll music, classic cars and good cigars in Heaven so Elaine and Bruce can motor down their own Route 66.”




-----------------------------------------------------------------------


I would like to honor both of my fathers today - my dad Charlie- who was in the Navy during Nam, and my step father Bruce who was in the Army in Nam and Desert Storm, and a life time Staff Sargeant in St Paul - training brave men on Black Hawk Helicopters. I am very proud of both of them.


I would also like to thank my friends DJ and Josh - husbands and sons of two very good friends of mine. Both served two tours during Enduring Freedom. It was hell for us while they were gone, but even worse for them. To my friends Jeanne and Melissa, thank you for allowing your son and husband serve so far away. Your strength while they were gone was empowering. To my new friend Valerie, while I have never met your husband, I remember the last few months of waiting with you for his return.


To my friend Becky who lost her nephew Brett, and to my friend Nancy, whose son is still recovering from life threatening injuries, Thank you. Thank you for your sacrafices.


God Bless all of you!
blog comments powered by Disqus