Wednesday, December 12, 2007

What would you do...

Jadon is absolutely adamant that he WILL NOT be poked again. But I know differently, he has labs today at 2:30. When I tried to prepare him for this afternoon, he not only looked at me with his big blue pouty eyes and said no, but he also reminded me that we promised no more pokes.

S!F!D! How do you tell him you lied? How do you explain to a 5 year old that he needs to have this done, and that it isnt just today, but every week for the next year?????? Because I fear he will pack his Thomas suitcase and split town at any moment now!

I have tried the following:
  • Me: "If we don't do this, they will make us go back to the hospital" - J: "I dont care!"
  • Me: "We have to make sure you are getting better" - J: "I am better"
  • Me: "I will take you to McDonalds" - J: "I dont want McDonalds"
  • Me: "You can pick out a new Thomas Train" -J: "Ok" ... and then with a little more thought "I dont want another Thomas Train"
  • Me: "What do you want to pick out?" -J: "I don't want anything, I just don't want to go to the Doctor"

NOW WHAT??? I have used the two good old stand by's/never fails...

Did I tell you what he has been telling people? Apparently his "magic naps" were not so magic. He remembers getting poked in the butt (really his hip, but this is how he tells it). He has told several people that when he took his first "magic nap" he felt them poke him in the butt twice (which they did!). Then he told my aunt and a few others that when he took his second "magic nap" he watched them take the string out of his mouth. BOTH times, he was completely asleep - I know this because I was there before and after! They did not tube him because of the risk of bleeding, but he was as under as one can be without being tubed. I have heard of the phenomenon of people not "completely under", but my 5 YEAR OLD??? Holy crap! I know we talked a little about the procedures in front of him, but he was usually distracted, and never once did we talk about the Bone Marrow Biopsy process in front of him, including when, where and how often. So he has to be remembering it.

So now I am back to... what do I do now? I have to make him go. But I know I am going to be hauling a kicking and screaming child into the place that is no longer safe to him. And it is the same place where he had his sore removed, so I am sure that will factor into it.

UGH!!! I will take any advice!

blog comments powered by Disqus