Monday, March 9, 2009

Wear it like a rug...

Alternately labelled - "Called on the Carpet - again and again."


Yes, I mean again x 2. That is how many times today I was called on the carpet by board members - of two different boards.


Maybe they will start to realize they are burning me out?


Background: I am the Director/Chair of two boards that directly relate to my job. One is my everyday job, the other is the tourism portion of my everyday job.


I have had a staff person who was not much less part time than I am until last month. The board relating directly to my everyday job made two serious budget cut suggestions when we discovered a key part of our funding would not be guaranteed this year. One was to cut her to 1/3 the time I work. The other was to have me move our office to a new location that would save us money.


Both cuts have nearly killed me.


I went from her shadowing my hours for all but 7 (of which 5 were on Fridays when I don't work) to only working WITH me for 6 hours a week. That means that the other 26 are unsupported. That means no one answering the phone when I have a customer in my office; no one to write checks when people come in to cash the dollars we give out to the community; no one to run this and that to them and they. It also means no one to talk to 90% of my days. And it means there is no one there to help me go through 30 years of crap that she had a major part in collecting. 30 years of crap that I now have to rid our office of so we can move to our new smaller (yet oh so exciting, windows right on main street) new office in 20 days!


That brings up the other thing causing me a slow and painful death. THE MOVE. If you know me, read me, talk to me, or care at all (bwa!), you would know that not only am I painfully not fit to move, but I am also currently sporting a ruptured disc in my neck and lower back, and live with a muscle disease that causes tremendous pain when I strain ever so little. Team that with carrying boxes and boxes and boxes of old files from storage to my office, from my office to my home, from my home back to my office, well, you have a lot of worn out me.


I'm not complaining. I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm controlling like that. All pain, no gain makes Lori a stupid, yet satisfied girl.


Wow, that was only the background part. You still here hangin with me?


Good...


Rug burn #1: My everyday job:
Crazy days. That they have been. But that isn't what burned me. What burned me was that I forgot they were coming up in two weeks. I discovered today that I had a slight miscommunication with the person I thought was arranging them. He thought I was. I thought he was. We are now 13 days out, only 3 participants, and ads are due on Friday. I totally confessed to my error (even tho for the record, it was NOT my error).


Rug burn #2: My not so everyday job, but just as important as my everyday job, part of my everyday job:
"Our Story - (insert my towns name)". This is a production that I am working on participating in. It costs money, but because I know the producer, I got us a sweetheart deal. The budget however is already done for this year, and this is not in the budget. That being said, there is room for it because I MADE A MISTAKE . There were two regional publications that I told the Board I would get an ad in. Ironically, I have been busy. Stop in and birds eye my day people. I did forget, I confess to it. Seriously, we haven't ever been in these publications so what is the big deal? This production will carry soooooo much more clout, and reach 69 communities, not just 2. So lighten up, forgive, forget, whatever you believe in, and move on. Sign the contract and call it a good sign!


Butmonkeypleasegetoffmyf'inback!


'Nother tangent:
WAY TO GO MELISSA! If you watch Bachelor, and Dancing with the Stars, you would have seen the recently jilted Melissa dance her pretty little toes off.


Oh, and as Vodka Mom would say:
BOTH my kids got artwork in the newspaper this week! ps.


And one more thing... when God created fat chicks like me, he also created designers that make wonderful sucker inner make us not look quite as fat as we are ok really we know we are fat but we feel better in them sucker inner things. What isn't fair is when fat chicks like me find the perfect sucker inner make us not look quite as fat as (oh you know...), the designer should not be allowed to stop making it. EVER! Because now, reality is, I need to find a new sucker inner, or I need to become the angry dieter.

I don't like either option. pps (yes, another ode to VM!)
And one more thing... when God created fat chicks like me, he also created designers that make wonderful sucker inner make us not look quite as fat as we are ok really we know we are fat but we feel better in them sucker inner things. What isn't fair is when fat chicks like me find the perfect sucker inner make us not look quite as fat as (oh you know...), the designer should not be allowed to stop making it. EVER! Because now, reality is, I need to find a new sucker inner, or I need to become the angry dieter.

I don't like either option. pps (yes, another ode to VM!)
blog comments powered by Disqus